[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jun 22 19:38:52 UTC 2007

On 21 Jun 2007, Jason Clifford uttered the following:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Tethys wrote:
>
>> Another argument for having a separate /var -- had you done so, this
>> wouldn't have filled up your root filesystem...
>
> I am constantly amazed that anyone would not put /var on a separate
> filesystem. In fact I don't see any reason for / to ever have anything on
> it except what is needed to boot the system and load the other filesystems
> at all.

Well, actually that's what the initramfs is for these days ;)

/ should have enough on it to repair the other filesystems if they
break, and probably enough to bring the network up and so on. Basically
a potted but reasonably complete small Unix system. (The initramfs need
not contain anything like so much, and isn't expected to be doing
anything once the system is running, unlike /.)

--
`... in the sense that dragons logically follow evolution so they would
 be able to wield metal.' --- Kenneth Eng's colourless green ideas sleep
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk