[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Mon Jun 25 21:58:15 UTC 2007

In message <20070625102603.29b4f9e1 at Amber.Harmony>, John G Walker
<johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> writes

>On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:23:59 +0000 Andy Smith <andy at lug.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> It's fairly obvious that they just don't want to promote Linux for
>> business reasons, no big drama.
>
>This is the bit that always puzzles me. Why haven't Microsoft attempted
>to muscle in on Linux? On the face of it, it would seem to be an
>obvious thing for them to do.
>
>Anyone any idea?

It is an obvious thing for them to do. It's something I've mentioned on
a few forums, so far nobody has commented on the idea. I'm reasonably
sure that they will do it within a year or two. The interesting question
is whether they will use the Linux kernel or fork it and produce their
own incompatible version. I think that's the most likely scenario.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk