[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 18:55:57 UTC 2007

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:44:06 +0100 "Peter Childs"
<peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30/06/07, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On 30 Jun 2007, Christopher Hunter verbalised:
> > >                                                  A senior
> > > executive of my acquaintance argues that if Powerpoint is
> > > "necessary" to explain an idea at a meeting or seminar, either
> > > the idea's rubbish or the person presenting the idea isn't
> > > sufficiently articulate to continue in his employ...
> >

> A picture speaks a thousand words and if used well it can help. But
> it needs to be value added not the be all and all.

The problem with PowerPoint (and Impress and anything else that's
similar) is that it's technically very easy to produce lots of
pictures. Furthermore, the way it's built (and Impress is the same)
encourages the user to structure the talk around the pictures, rather
than use the pictures to enhance the talk.

But there's a danger of doing this sort of thing with any display
technology, as those who've seen the Video Arts film on slide
presentations will know.

It's all a question of people switching on their brains before using
technology. And we currently have no means - under either Windows *or*
Linux - of making sure this happens,

--
 All the best,
 John