[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 22:38:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 18:48 +0000, J. Dudley Swale wrote:

> I have used Blueyonder now Virgin Media for over a year because of the lousy
> service on BT lines which in my area are horible.
> They say that they don't support Linux but on the two occasions that I have
> used their support the person who answered me understood what I needed and
> gave me the right answers.
> Have had two breaks of service so far one lasted less than an hour and was
> attributed to a technical fault the other lasted about twenty three hours
> when someone dug up and broke a fibre cable and a new one had to be laid.
> All in all verry much better than BT.

My experience of Blueyonder is contrary to yours - two years ago, their
service level was tolerable, but more recently there have been many
outages, the start of bandwidth throttling and increasing contention
ratios.

Since Virgin took over, it's got even worse.  We now have daily outages,
an incredibly annoying pre-recorded woman on the "help line" and they're
increasing the charges.  Their "help line" is utterly useless, and the
best advice they can offer is to power cycle the modem...

I'm seriously looking at getting rid of them, but we don't have a BT
line anymore...

Chris