[Gllug] Fedora/Dell Clock Problems

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Mar 31 08:48:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:39:25PM +0100, Dr David Reed wrote:
> Of the reference sites that NTP uses, is one more reliably open than the
> others? I have tried several but I never seem to able to find one that
> responds to the daemon. It always seems to time out, as it were.

Is there a firewall / NAT device between your computer and the
internet at large?  If so you will probably need to configure it to
allow NTP through.  Many (broken) home ADSL routers don't allow it,
and some like mine use NTP to synchronise themselves but don't forward
NTP service to the LAN side of the firewall, which to me seems just
crazy.

A simple, and rather insecure, configuration is to allow when source
AND destination is port 123, TCP and UDP.  Make sure that the
detination is only one machine on your internal network which is
always running the latest ntpd.  You can do better than this with a
proper stateful firewall.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones