[Gllug] Partioning advice needed

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 21:00:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 02:32:45PM +0000, Tethys wrote:

> Anthony Newman writes:
>
> >LVM isn't the ultimate panacea despite its potential usefulness,
> >especially as there are not any file systems available[0] that allow
> >shrinking
> >
> > [...]
> >
> >[0] Maybe there are experimental ones, but not that I'd use for any data
> >I care about
>
> Uhhh... you'd call ext3 experimental? Also, I'm fairly sure
> that xfs filesystems can be shrunk, although I haven't tried
> it myself.

Somewhat late to respond, but you /can/ in theory shrink an XFS
filesystem. A method's been discussed a couple of times on the mailing
list, and I think someone even started working on some code at one
point.

However, for practical purposes, you can only grow XFS filesystems (but,
you can do it online!)

There's some online resize stuff for ext2/3, but IIRC it required kernel
patches which weren't in mainline..