[Gllug] xsession-errors growing too large

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Mar 7 11:48:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:53:11AM +0000, Jon Dye wrote:
> I eventually tracked down the problem to a 5.1GB ~/.xsession-errors
> file.  I have deleted the file but I've just realised that various X
> processes have the file open still so it's still using up the disk
> space.

This in itself is very unusual.  My .xsession-errors file currently
stands at a grand total of 6K in size and I've never seen one growing
big at all.  Before you deleted the file did you get a chance to look
at the messages?  You can probably strace one of the processes which
has this file open still and find out what particular error is causing
the file to grow.  Perhaps there is a real problem that needs to be
fixed.

As to redirecting file descriptors for processes which already have
them open, I'm afraid this isn't possible without some very ugly
kernel hackery.  It may be possible to restart parts of KDE which have
the file open, but more likely that in doing so you'll end up
accidentally killing KDE (which is pretty much the same as killing
your X session).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones