[Gllug] Re: xsession-errors growing too large

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 12:04:22 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:53:11AM +0000, Jon Dye wrote:
>> I eventually tracked down the problem to a 5.1GB ~/.xsession-errors
>> file.  I have deleted the file but I've just realised that various X
>> processes have the file open still so it's still using up the disk
>> space.
>
> This in itself is very unusual.  My .xsession-errors file currently
> stands at a grand total of 6K in size and I've never seen one growing
> big at all.  Before you deleted the file did you get a chance to look
> at the messages?

Yes, the errors were from mythfrontend which I accidentally left running
yesterday playing radio and it went screwy and started logging lots of
errors.  I think this is mainly due to my signal being a bit crap and
myth not handling it very well.  I did also notice quite a few messages
from mplayer which I believe are from when mythfrontend runs mplayer to
play videos (rather than recorded TV).

> As to redirecting file descriptors for processes which already have
> them open, I'm afraid this isn't possible without some very ugly
> kernel hackery.

I thought that would be the case, I guess what I should have done was to
truncate the file to 0 bytes rather than delete it which was my first
thought.  I couldn't think of a good way to do this though, I assumed
there would be a simple command to do it (like touch) but I couldn't
find one with apropos.

>  It may be possible to restart parts of KDE which have
> the file open, but more likely that in doing so you'll end up
> accidentally killing KDE (which is pretty much the same as killing
> your X session).

OK, thanks.

JD

--
"I was brought up in Europe. Where the history comes from."
		- Eddie Izzard