[Gllug] Is there such a thing as a 64-bit Celeron

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Mar 20 16:38:42 UTC 2007

I just bought a remaindered motherboard and Celeron D processor (£50
from Maplin) to resurrect an old machine whose motherboard is suffering
from bit rot.

When it arrived I looked closely at the processor and found it is a
Celeron D 346 (3.06 GHz).  I went to look it up on Intel's web site and
found to my surprise it is listed as being a 64 bit processor.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/celeron_d.htm

I tried an Etch RC2 ia64 installation CD in it and got no joy at all.
It's now busy installing the i386 version.  Is there such a thing as a
64-bit Celeron D?  If not, then what is Intel claiming on their web site?

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk