[Gllug] Remapping Meta Keys

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 20:46:19 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Perhaps a slightly obscure question, but the talents and interests of
this list are  many and diverse...

I am using ion3 as my window manager, and emacs as my work
environment.  This causes a clash as the left alt key is used for both
emacs and ion3.

I want to set the right alt key to function as the meta key in ion3.

>From the documentation, this should be as simple as telling ion3 to
use a different modifier for it's meta key - for example many users
user the windows key (which I don't have).

Consequently, in my cfg_ion.lua file I have set META="Mod2+".

I have estblished, using xev, that my right alt key emits keycode 113,
and was bound to keysym "ISO_Level3_Shift".  I had heard that this can
be a bit tricky, so I remapped 113 to Hyper_R, and then set Mod2 to
Hyper_R.

This we have:

$ xmodmap | grep mod2
mod2        Hyper_R (0x71)

However, despite all this, my right alt key doesn't function as I want!

what have I missed?  Has anyone else got this working?

Thanks!

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk