[Gllug] Remapping Meta Keys

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 01:12:22 UTC 2007

Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Perhaps a slightly obscure question, but the talents and interests of
> this list are  many and diverse...
>
> I am using ion3 as my window manager, and emacs as my work
> environment.  This causes a clash as the left alt key is used for both
> emacs and ion3.
>
> I want to set the right alt key to function as the meta key in ion3.

I've got no knowledge of ion3 at all, but it seems to me as though
you're going to have trouble here (assuming you're using emacs from
within ion3). You can remap keys with xmodmap, but that changes the X
events generated by the keypress, so will affect what all applications
running under X see - that won't help you here. You can also tell your
window manager to bind keys to actions, but it has to do this either by
logic internal to the WM, or by using xmodmap (or equivalent API calls).
I can't see how you can have a key mapped in ion3, but present different
semantics to an application running under the WM. Unless ion3
specifically provides support for remapping keys in a context sensitive
manner, according to which app has the focus, I don't see how it'll work
for you.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk