[Gllug] Remapping Meta Keys

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 08:48:41 UTC 2007

On 3/25/07, Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/07, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I can't see how you can have a key mapped in ion3, but present different
> > semantics to an application running under the WM. Unless ion3
> > specifically provides support for remapping keys in a context sensitive
> > manner, according to which app has the focus, I don't see how it'll work
> > for you.
>
> Ion3 is configured to look for the events generated by an x modifier -
> say Mod3.  Emacs doesn't listen to events generated by Mod3.
>
> I could in theory bind the q key to Mod3, and then ion3 would treat
> this as my meta key.
>
> Enacs is never going to listen for the q key as its meta key, so I
> should be home and dry...
>
> But I'm not ;(

I am now...  not sure what I was doing wrong before, but  the steps were:

1) Change META setting ion ion3 config to look for Meta3 rather than Meta!
2) Map keycode 113 to keysym Alt_R
3) Map Mod3 to Alt_R

I've popped these in a .xmodmaprc sourced in my .xinitrc, and all works.

Incidentally, what's the difference between .xinitrc and .xsession?
Something to do with gdm?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk