[Gllug] SIP conference

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Mar 6 15:01:20 UTC 2007

Hi

Rich Walker wrote:
> I must admit, I've tried a couple of times to setup a SIP thing, and run
> straight into "WTF is it going on about?", usually followed by a higher

Indeed, however this kind of thing is easily solved - when you sign up
for a SIP provider you could be given a little settings file in a
standard format, or a pre-packaged softphone. Or there could be a
registry of providers so your SIP phone could obtain the correct settings.
Etc, etc.

If the provider has things set up properly you should only really need
to know a domain, username and password. Even then though, things like
Ekiga manage to be written largely with crack and fail in weird and
poorly errored ways.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones