[Gllug] Mailbox compacting

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Wed Mar 28 17:37:17 UTC 2007

* Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> [070328 16:45]:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Rich Walker wrote:
>
> > The mailboxes are supposed to be in mbox format - is there a good way to
> > compact them from a command-line tool?
>
> archmbox may do what you want.

On a related question - does anyone know of an mbox archiving tool that
will archive messages by *number* and not by date?  I keep all my mail
in subject folders in two sets: a "current" set and an "archive" set -
keeping only the last 100 mails in each folder in the current set and
moving older mails to the archive.  For me this keeps the right balance
between immediate accessibility and having to search the archive - which
I do using mairix.

However, I have to use mutt to do the archival using a complicated tag
expression and I'd much rather use a simpler self-standing solution.
Any ideas?