[Gllug] Mailbox compacting

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 20:20:09 UTC 2007

I am not sure whether this is remotely relevant or helpful as I am not sure
about 'mailbox' format!    Our emails (on a SCO box) are held in  what I think
is mbox format of  4 delimiting binary ones at the start and end of each email.
We archive them away in one or more largish files and use a C program to create
an 'index' file of each email by sender and subject line.  The index file
contains pointers to each email with the 'archive file' that can be used by
another C program to extract the email by simply seeking to the first pointer
and reading data of length of the 2nd 'pointer'.

Tim