[Gllug] [OT] Nice childrens online worlds ... that are linux friendly. Suggestions anyone?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Mar 21 22:39:47 UTC 2007

The girls in the village have got into Club Penguin in a big way
(www.clubpenguin.com) and are pestering to get us to sign them up.

It seems a nice little online world suitable for the under 12s, with no
pop up adverts and moderated online.

But before we sign up does anyone know of anything else that is suitable
for kids from 4-12 or so, young ones as well seeing as little brothers
and sisters have been desperate to get in on the act.

I did a google search but didn't find anything that seemed right on the
pages and pages of stuff that kids online worlds raised ...

I thought that a younger generation than this ancient late family start
Dad might be more au fait with this whole parallel existence of mmorpgs
and such like and some may have kids and have some recommendations.

I came across something last night, the name of which escapes me now,
but it required a windows client to be downloaded. I don't allow windows
loose on the net, particularly as the kids are booting into windows 98se
for their collection of old freebie games we've collected via green
balloon giveaway days, as I can't be bothered to spend huge amounts of
time and probably money sorting security for this operating system or
even XP for net access, so its simply disabled when under windows
booting.

Linux only for web browsing!

Help appreciated from the beleugered parents of primary year 5...