[Gllug] ADSL moving delays

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Thu Mar 22 08:54:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, paul at ma1.se wrote:

> Is that all the Centrals that Enta have? I'd got the impression, Enta
> were pretty big.

A year ago Enta had a single 622Mb central. Now they have 3 with a 4th on
the way in the coming weeks and a 5th on order. Each of those costs
£1.5mllion per year.

Don't forget that most ISPs have collections of 155Mb pipes so they can
claim to have more pipes even though they need 4 of each to match a single
622Mb pipe.

Enta run at about 20k-25k users per 622Mb pipe which is slightly less than
the industry average.

> Maybe Enta know a thing or two about traffic management. They have quite
> a few resellers to support.

The only traffic management they use is a loss management tool to handle
periods of congestion (which generally include about 3 hours each night
when everyone kicks off their big downloads in the offpeak period). All
this does is to reduce everyone's speed if usage on a central pipe exceeds
96% but it has a floor of 2Mb below which it does not reduce speeds. This
is specific to the central that's busy so the others don't get touched.

This is not to dissuade people from using bandwidth intensive apps but
rather to prevent packet loss and latency issues.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98