[Gllug] dell rolling out linux?

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:01:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 17:13 +0100, Khusro Jaleel wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Hmm, if the article said US only I didn't notice it. In the end I
> don't really know what kind of response they will get here. Do a lot
> of people here in UK want linux on their desktop? I know some
> government departments and enterprises might.
>
> I can imagine a PC World-type advert for Dell on TV where the customer
> asks:
> "This is the latest Intel Core Duo blah de blah ...."
> "Does it come with Vista?"
> "No it comes with Linux!"
> "Great! I'll take one!" :-)

Ah - but Microsoft subsidise their advertising as they are adverts for
windows as well as for the PC. We're not in the business of subsidising
PC World's/Dell's advertising spend.

It's the same as the fact that the free CDs you see aren't free - AOL
etc *pay* to have their free CDs available in the big chains. They
wouldn't give up valuable floor space for things that don't make them
any money..

All the lobbying in the world will count for nought if we don't follow
through by buying linux PCs from the big box retailers (and yes that
means us, don't presume that Jo Public will naturally buy when they see
it's cheaper)

Caroline