[Gllug] OT: laptop docks and airliner holds

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Thu Mar 29 18:52:52 UTC 2007

I've recently acquired an X41 thinkpad with ultrabay dock from Linux Emporium.
I'm contemplating taking it abroad and had assumed I could put the dock
(which includes a removable  dvd-rw drive) in checked baggage without risk
that it would be damaged by the x-ray machines, while keeping the laptop with
me.

But it occurs to me that the dock might provoke a search when the baggage is
x-rayed (under the misguided suspicion it's a laptop), which in turn might
result in loss or damage of one kind or another.

Anyone have any stories either about that sort of risk, or about damage to
electronics of components like that?

It would not be worth taking the dock if the dvd-rw drive was at risk, because
I could take a portable USB hub to cover the other facilities that I use,
apart from the padlockability (which seems rather theoretical).

Christopher

Christopher Currie	ccurrie at usa.net