[Gllug] who is going to the novell roadshow tomorrow?

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Mar 6 12:36:43 UTC 2007

Hi

Joel Bernstein wrote:
> software for large business. They have embraced the Linux OS, with SuSE
> as their chosen distribution, to further their goal of regaining their

They really had no choice on this though. Moving to purely supporting
Windows puts them at great risk of being marginalised as MS improve
their directory services. Keeping their own OS was highly uneconomic,
but buying a Linux distro gives them a decent platform that is mostly
paid for by other people, as well as additional revenue sources.

> Is anybody evil if they make money from open source?

Of course not, anyone who suggests that is likely to be an insane zealot.
I suspect the majority of us on this list make our money from open
source - I've been primarily focussed on Linux syadminning for a decade
now and so all of my pay packets in that time have been derived from
Open Source goodness.

If even RMS and the FSF are happy with people making money from open
source (which they are, see the GPL) then you'd have to be *way* out
there on the mental fringes to be unhappy with it.

Providing the people making the money play by the rules, of course.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net