[Gllug] Vodafone 3G Cards

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:28:58 UTC 2007

Hello chums,

I'm about to obtain a vodafone 3G datacard.  I appear to have two
options - one which is 3G and one which is 3g+ (UTMS?).

I had my laptop with me when I was discussing the options with the
chap in the shop, and plugged both into the pcmcia slot.

The 3G+ one appeared as a Qualcomm MSM6275 UMTS under dmesg, but
nothing else happened.

The 3G one was recognised as a GSM modem, and option.ko was
automatically loaded, and the modem appeared to be set as
/dev/ttyUSB[0-2]

>From my understanding (which is limited) 3G cards are running at about
330K and UTMS ones at 1.2M, where there is signal coverage.

Has anyone had experience of getting either to work?  I'm using
Debian/Sid on my laptop, fwiw.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk