[Gllug] xsession-errors growing too large

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 7 12:24:50 UTC 2007

On 7 Mar 2007, Jon Dye outgrape:
> A more general question is, what is the best way to deal with
> rotation/deletion/truncation of this log file for systems with long
> running X processes (I'm assuming it gets truncated on X startup)?

cat /dev/null > ~/.xsession-errors

(assuming you want the contents to go away)

That truncates it rather than unlinking it (and leaving the old inode to
keep filling up).

Once you *have* unlinked its last link you'll have to convince the
various apps to close it, probably by restarting X (since
.Xsession-errors is generally the X session manager's standard output
stream and there's no way to redirect stdout after a process has started
without that process's cooperation).

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names