[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Mar 14 13:52:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 01:04:27PM +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > Would you really expect VoIP providers to give you 999 service, when
> > really they're just running another server connected to the internet? By
> > the same rationale, should website owners also offer a "999 button" if
> > you happen to fall ill while looking at their website?  Perhaps this
> > should be a requirement for people who install a physical wire into your
> > house, but not for people just providing a service over the internet, no
> > matter how much you think it looks like a phone.
>
> Yes, it is a reasonable expectation. You seem to be under the impression
> that people will always have a telephone service on the wire coming into
> their home.

No it's not what I'm suggesting at all.  We need to rethink how 999 is
delivered.  If a company wires in a physical line, then it may be a
good idea to require that the company also wires in some sort of 999
mechanism.  It might be a special intercom-type device.  It may not
look like a handset at all.

Requiring people who run a server connected to the internet on some
far side of the world to (a) know where their customers are and (b)
provide them with emergency services -- well, it's not going to happen
for one thing.  For one thing because it's not possible, economically
or logistically.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones