[Gllug] Detecting attempts to contact another machine and acting o

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 00:34:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 08:02:49AM -0000, John Winters wrote:
> Precisely.  I see the slug listening for the "ARP Who-has?" request,
> noting the lack of response and then firing off a WoL packet.

One thing to be aware of, although it doesn't sound like it'll be a
problem in your case is that the machine will respond to connection
attempts to closed ports with an ICMP connection refused datagram,
terminating the connection attempt by the client.

If your machine starts up quickly enough that your services can be
running and ready to accept connections before the connection timeout,
you could be quite tricky and load a "deny all" iptables ruleset before
bringing up the network interface, then load a more normal (or blank)
ruleset once all your (externally-listening) services are running.

Only really applies to TCP, of course...