[Gllug] Detecting attempts to contact another machine and acting o

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Mar 13 11:43:50 UTC 2007

- Tethys wrote:
> On 3/13/07, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I still have this vague recollection of seeing a HowTo back in the dim
>> and
>> distant past which had instructions for doing something very similar
>> using
>> dummy IP addresses.  Each machine had its own real IP address, and then
>> another dummy address was allocated which both might pretend to be.  I
>> wish I could remember exactly where I saw it.
>
> At a guess, probably here: http://www.linux-ha.org

The heartbeat (linux-HA) package comes with two scripts, IPaddr and
IPaddr2  which create an aliases interface, ie. you have two (more)
machines with IPs and the 'service' IP is an aliased interface which is
started on the primary machine, and on failover is started on the
standby machine.
AFAIK, heartbeat does not listen for traffic on any of these
interfaces. I could be wrong!

Don't let me put you off though  - this is a good idea.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk