[Gllug] debian Sarge Apache2 php not working

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon May 14 17:47:46 UTC 2007

Rhys Powell wrote:
> John Winters wrote:
>> Rhys Powell wrote:
>>> John Winters wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>>
>>> # Hetzner default-sources
>>> deb http://amd64.debian.net/debian sarge main contrib non-free
>>                                       ^^^^^
>> There's your problem right there.  You're trying to install sarge
>> packages on an etch system.  Have you changed this file since you did a
>> dist-upgrade?  If not, how did you do it?
>>
>> John
> Nope not changed that file at all. Due to restrictions where I work, I
> used webmin to do the dist upgrade.
>
>  From that inference would changing that to etch and running apt-get
> update fix things are is there something else that needs to be tweaked?

Probably.  ;-)

I would change "sarge" in that line to "etch", and "stable" in the line
below (security updates) also to "etch", then run "apt-get update"
followed by "apt-get upgrade".

I'm not familiar with webmin but I can't imagine how it's managed to do
a proper upgrade without changing sources.list.  You may still be in the
position that your system hasn't really been upgraded (certainly not if
you're still running Sarge's libc6).  If that's the case (e.g. if when
you run "apt-get upgrade" it proposes to upgrade several hundred
packages rather than two or three) I would follow Chris Bell's advice
and read the documentation.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk