[Gllug] List back

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Mon May 14 17:28:50 UTC 2007

paul at ma1.se wrote:

> I powered up one of my old Compaq DL380's in IP House recently
> with its four clunking great SCSI's. The lights of the data centre
> appearing to dim noticeably dimming as it came on line - not a good
> sign! ;o)
>
> I can probably donate some older Compaq gear but they may not be too
> viable now from a power consumption point of view given restrictions in
> Redbus now. I've a few DL360's kicking around but they have a tendency
> to pop PSU's.

I have a sneaking suspicion that unless you had some very high spec old
kit that the modern servers have a much higher power density. A new
DL3xx machine will have no problem chewing down the best part of 2A from
the mains supply, which these days represents 1/4 - 1/6 of an entire
rack's allocation in oversubscribed London (assuming it is destined for
a DC).

An old DL380 would still be capable of generating many hundreds of
thousands of mails a day given suitable upstream bandwidth, so if it is
intended for just a mailing list server anything less than 10 years old
would be over-specified.

Just my £0.02 :)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk