[Gllug] (OT) Server spec for 100W power consumption

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu May 17 23:34:23 UTC 2007

Garry Heaton wrote:
> Anyone built anything with the new energy efficient dual core Opterons,
> especially the new "High Efficiency" CPUs?

Not very new, I got my first one over a year back. - hombrew 1U 2x248HE, 2x500gb
seagate sata2, 4 gigs of ram, 3ware 9550sx - runs flat out 24/7 ( runs a fairly
loaded database ) and averages 126 watts ( boot time max load is 138 watt ) -
with just the out-of-band ipmi2 interface card running, it uses 18 watts!

Just to give you something else to shake a stick at :

Via C7 1200Mhz cpu, with 2x250gb hhd, 1 gig of ram running mdraid-0, acting as a
vpn termination point for 25 to 35 remote hosts and handling a fairly thick
network pipe runs at 48 Watts, boot time max is 62 Watt of power.

As has already been mentioned, you can easily get 2 of these Via ITX mobo's into
a single 1U case. Seen in the wild are also some 4 mobo's in a 1U case...
although not sure if I would recommend it for anything except the really high
density hosting service ( kinda like what dediweb are doing ).

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk