[Gllug] css upgrade - the holy grail

Gundemarie Scholz spamyousilly at inbox.ru
Sun May 27 22:05:30 UTC 2007

Mark Preston wrote:
> Hi all,
> Using css to control page layout, rather than tables is recommended
> nowadays, but it is not always easy to get the desired results in all
> browsers.
> Having read
> http://alistapart.com/articles/holygrail
> and trying to get the display for my homepage to work well in all
> browsers I have produced this wrapper-free "Holy Grail". One div for
> each section of the css code. Header, footer and three columns for the
> main content.
[...]
> I would be grateful for any comments and suggestions for improvements.
> See
> http://www.markpreston.co.uk/index.html

If you are using Firefox you might find this extension helpful as it
shows you where you have made markup mistakes and also gives you a lot
of information about document size etc.
http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

Concerning that aqua colour... *pauses*
To quote my boyfriend: "If it is supposed to give you toothache - it
works for me." (-;
I think it depends probably on your screen resolution, but at least on
my 19" at 1280x1024 there is just way too much turquoise and too bright,
and doesn't go with my curtains.

Having a split up menu at my screen resolution makes it impossible for
my eyes to grasp the contents of both divs in one go. Changing the
browser window size to 800x600 helps. For a quick check of what you see
with a text browser or screen reader you can switch Firefox to ignore
CSS (View -> web page style -> no style). Having the left div before the
contents, and the right div doesn't make sense to me.

As you name the bullets next to the links (i1, i2 etc) it looks really
odd when they don't get displayed:
http://www.gunde.de/bilder/markpreston.gif

I suggest playing around with unnumbered lists and adding custom bullets
with
list-style-type:url(whatever)

Regards,
Gunde