[Gllug] css upgrade - the holy grail

Paul Rayner Paul.Rayner at ylemsolutions.com
Sun May 27 12:33:51 UTC 2007

On 27 May 2007, at 08:29, Mark Preston wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would be grateful for any comments and suggestions for improvements.
> See
> http://www.markpreston.co.uk/index.html
> --
> Regards,
> Mark Preston

Mark,

Looking at your site on my mac, this alert is annoying

> As you are viewing this page on a Mac platform please
> note that the Mac-only version of Internet Explorer 4.5
> may not run all scripts correctly due to browser issues.

It's also the first thing a Mac user will see when visiting your site.

The number of mac users using IE is probably very small indeed (IIRC,
IE was dropped before the intel switch, and Safari was  the preferred
browser for a long time before that).

In case you wish to alter the offending code in jscript1.js, example
output from navigator.userAgent on my mac:

Firefox:

	Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/
20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3

Safari:

	Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/419
(KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3

Opera:

	Opera/9.01 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X; U; en)

You could use this to not display that alert if the strings
"Firefox", "Safari", or "Opera" were present.

Regards,

Paul

--
Paul Rayner