[Gllug] GIMP not able to do the Samba

DL Neil GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Fri May 25 13:41:10 UTC 2007

A Friday afternoon question from a learner and new member...

I am building a new machine with SuSE 10.1 and YaST. It is up and
running in the basics. When Linux was loaded so was the Gimp. I have
since activated the Samba server etc.

We have an existing desktop/server running SuSE 10.0 and a Samba shared
area called prosaically-enough WinData which grants all WinUsers RW access.

We have had no trouble accessing this shared space from Win2000 and
WinXP machines, eg a photo.JPG file will open in PhotoShop, allow
editing, and then accept back the saved file.

Gimp running on the 10.0 box will access the WinData shared area - but
uses the local file system.

However whereas OpenOffice on the 10.1 box will allow editing functions
on a file in the shared area, the Gimp will not.

If I access the shared area using a desktop link/file manager and then
right-click on the .JPG asking for it to open in the Gimp, the following
errmsg results:
smb://WinWkGroup%3BWinUsers@LinuxServer/WinData
JPEG image message
Could not open /root/smb://WinWkGroup/WinData/Autograph/XYZ.jpg for
reading: No such file or directory.

Consistently, firing up the Gimp and using the File | Open dialog
reveals no access to the network - root (/) is as 'high' as it will go
and there's no Network icon/button/option in the d.box.

I am still playing with the new box, and thus am running as root user.
Have I (not) done something to Samba/the Gimp?

Please advise,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk