[Gllug] GIMP not able to do the Samba

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri May 25 14:02:38 UTC 2007

DL Neil wrote:
> If I access the shared area using a desktop link/file manager and then
> right-click on the .JPG asking for it to open in the Gimp, the following
> errmsg results:
> smb://WinWkGroup%3BWinUsers@LinuxServer/WinData
> JPEG image message
> Could not open /root/smb://WinWkGroup/WinData/Autograph/XYZ.jpg for
> reading: No such file or directory.

Gimp knows nothing about smb:... protocol urls afaik.

> Consistently, firing up the Gimp and using the File | Open dialog
> reveals no access to the network - root (/) is as 'high' as it will go
> and there's no Network icon/button/option in the d.box.
>
> I am still playing with the new box, and thus am running as root user.
> Have I (not) done something to Samba/the Gimp?

You would normally mount the smb share as a local directory (e.g.
/mnt/windata) so you could access it from all apps and command-lines.

If you wanted the share mounted on startup then you'd add a line to your
/etc/fstab, but bear in mind you'll need to allow root to mount the share.

Googlinig "/etc/fstab mount smb" seems to give useful links. In
particular, note the bit about credentials files in the ubuntu link.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk