[Gllug] List back

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon May 21 01:03:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 06:28:50PM +0100, Anthony Newman wrote:
> An old DL380 would still be capable of generating many hundreds of
> thousands of mails a day given suitable upstream bandwidth, so if it is
> intended for just a mailing list server anything less than 10 years old
> would be over-specified.

Our company mail server (yes, singular :() is a Proliant 3000 - two P2
450s with 192M of RAM.

It's not very fast, but it handles IMAP, POP3 and SMTP, all with TLS or
SSL for our ~150 users. Most users send mail via it as well, using
SMTP+TLS+AUTH.

Spam & virus scanning is farmed out to another machine though - no way
it could cope with clamav and spamassassin with 192M of RAM.

Having just replaced our biggest SPOF (which /was/ failing, and causing
problems - we didn't just replace it because it was a SPOF), the mail
server is next on the hitlist, especially since it's started locking up
randomly of late :(

So, if anyone'd like a Proliant 3000 (or a 1000 - we have one sitting
around doing nothing!), I might have one going spare in a month or two's
time. It will hold a very heavy door open quite successfully, and makes
for quite good ballast at the bottom of a rack.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk