[Gllug] List back

paul at ma1.se paul at ma1.se
Mon May 14 18:02:00 UTC 2007

Anthony Newman wrote:
> paul at ma1.se wrote:
>> I powered up one of my old Compaq DL380's in IP House recently
>> with its four clunking great SCSI's. The lights of the data centre
>> appearing to dim noticeably dimming as it came on line - not a good
>> sign! ;o)
>>
>> I can probably donate some older Compaq gear but they may not be too
>> viable now from a power consumption point of view given restrictions in
>> Redbus now. I've a few DL360's kicking around but they have a tendency
>> to pop PSU's.
>
> I have a sneaking suspicion that unless you had some very high spec old
> kit that the modern servers have a much higher power density. A new
> DL3xx machine will have no problem chewing down the best part of 2A from
> the mains supply, which these days represents 1/4 - 1/6 of an entire
> rack's allocation in oversubscribed London (assuming it is destined for
> a DC).

Probably correct, I bought some power meters from Maplin, and tried it
on the dual processor Compaq DL360 (2 x p3'S, 2 X scsi) idling in the
rack with little disk activity chews 0.39A or about 80 watts. I'll try a
meter on a DL380 later.

My DL380's at the DC are at least partitioned into 10 VPS's however I
would not go as far as to say they are doing the job of 10 hardware
servers :/

regards

Paul Lee

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk