[Gllug] networking guide

countd countd42 at googlemail.com
Wed May 30 11:14:59 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:
> re beginners guide to Networking -
> I guess it depends on what aspects you are interested in.

I am specifically interested in brushing up on my routing knowledge in
Linux - am looking at aggregating a network connection over two DSL
uplinks. Of course a little refresher on the building blocks wouldn't
harm either!

> I found the O'Reilly TCP/IP book very good  - but that may not be the depth
> to which you wish to go.

This looks to be exactly what I need, so long as it isn't too dated
either. I am worried that there may be newer features in recent
kernels that won't be mentioned in a book that is five years old. A
lot of the literature mentions ifconfig which is supposedly superceded
by ip, for example.

> Maybe a good start would be to use google to search for useful articles on the
> net - there is a wealth of information out there on pretty well every subject
> under the sun, so you should find stuff which you will find helpful.
> I have a linux book myself covering various aspects and, as you say, it is
> pretty out of date.  Unfortunately linux moves so quickly it seems, that books
> usually lag well behind (and maybe the man pages as well !)

Yeah - problem is, there are dozens of little tidbits here and there
that never really give one a better idea of the greater picture/how to
troubleshoot problems etc. So I am kind of looking for a definitive
resource. The TCP/IP one may be the best grounding and then brush up
on new developments.  :)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk