[Gllug] Practical release and deployment - how?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Nov 7 15:32:47 UTC 2007

Ziya Suzen wrote:
> Hi there
>
> What do you use (as tools or practices) for releasing and deploying
> your code (internal to the company)?

Lots of people have spoken about bits... my comments on systems
management is use Puppet. Just move to using non-ssh and non access
based systems managment.

> Another thing is the HTML files (or HTML templates. PHP files and
> such). We keep them in svn as well and deploying them as RPM or using
> svn/branches is almost impossible since designers will require
> click-the-button-tools to be able to work with such a system. What are
> your thoughts about managing these in web installations?

I think deploying moving code using rpm isnt the best way really. Its a
lot better to have a deployment / push process where you can push real
code and changesets to production machines, wrap them with rollout tests
and have direct control on that.

To do this sort of a thing look at func [2]. Its a new project and has
lots of promise in handling issues such as rollout across multiple
machines, handling integration tests and rollout tests, handling
rollback's conditionally etc. And its easy to tie into CruiseControl (
if you use that sort of stuff ).

[2] https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk