[Gllug] GPL & Licence Fees

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Nov 11 06:54:59 UTC 2007

Ken Smith wrote:
> Any GPL experts who might have a view on this....
>
> I came across a linux based firewall at a client that appeared to be a
> cut down Debian like configuration. The client is being charged an
> annual licence fee for this firewall. Is this legit?
>
> I would understand a one off fee for setting it up but an annual licence
>  feel seems rather heavy.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ken

> Any GPL experts who might have a view on this....
>
> I came across a linux based firewall at a client that appeared to be a
> cut down Debian like configuration. The client is being charged an
> annual licence fee for this firewall. Is this legit?

Yes.

> I would understand a one off fee for setting it up but an annual licence
>   feel seems rather heavy.

The GPL makes no requirements about what you may charge for providing
GPL software.  On the other hand, it also provides very little in the
way of requirements for a user to *pay* anything either.

Without seeing the contract between vendor and purchaser in this case
it's hard to see what is being paid for.  Is there perhaps an element of
ongoing support?

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk