[Gllug] GPL & Licence Fees

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Nov 11 07:22:39 UTC 2007

John Winters wrote:
> Ken Smith wrote:
[snip]
>> I came across a linux based firewall at a client that appeared to be a
>> cut down Debian like configuration. The client is being charged an
>> annual licence fee for this firewall. Is this legit?
 >
 > Yes.
[snip]
> The GPL makes no requirements about what you may charge for providing
> GPL software.

I should perhaps qualify this - the GPL does make one restriction on
charging, relating to what you can charge for subsequently providing
source after earlier providing a system without source.

However, if I avoid that problem by bundling the source in with my
original offering, there's nothing in the GPL to stop me charging you a
zillion, billion, million quid for a purely GPL package.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk