[Gllug] [OT] 3G speed / SIM issues on O2

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 09:59:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 02:44 +0000, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:

> I have been trying recently, to get to the bottom of my data rate issue
> with the O2 UK mobile network.  I am with O2 Carphone Warehouse and have
> been trying to achieve 3G speeds with them for a long while.

I have the misfortune to have to use Orange "3G" "service".  You're
really lucky to be getting 17 kbs - when out and about, I get
(typically) 4 - 5 kbs and intermittant connection.  The connections are
deliberately hobbled by the mobile phone companies to extend data call
times - Orange don't only charge by data quantity, the length of the
call is billed too.

All of the mobile phone service providers are a bunch of cynical gougers
- and they have a licence to print money!  It costs then NOTHING to
convey SMS (for example) but they charge for it.  Call charges are also
obscenely high...

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk