[Gllug] glibc2.6.1 problem - Urgent!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Nov 30 00:23:53 UTC 2007

On 29 Nov 2007, Progga stated:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 06:44:58PM +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
>>
>> ----- On 11/28/07, Yashpal Nagar <yash at linux-delhi.org> wrote:
>> | Could anyone please provide help, what are the options i do have now!
>
> I am not an expert on this, but I have a feeling that running 'ldconfig -v'
> might help.  This'll update the library cache.  AFAIK library cache is
> update when the system starts.  So if you have already restarted the machine
> without any success then ignore this mail.

Nah, those symptoms are clear: upgrading glibc installed a new
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 symlink, and uninstalling it blew that symlink away
and didn't replace it.

I can't entirely remember the filename of the dynamic linker for glibc
2.3.3 (it was a long time ago, and besides, the release is dead and
insecure) but something like

sln ld-2.3.3.so /lib/ld-linux.so.2
sln libc-2.3.3.so /lib/libc.so.6
sln libm-2.3.3.so /lib/libm.so.6

should get you far enough up to be able to use normal dynamically-linked
tools again.

(If you don't have sln, curse your distributor: this sort of disaster
recovery is *why* glibc installs a statically linked `ln -s'.)

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk