[Gllug] Choosing a new mobile phone

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Nov 4 13:36:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 12:43:00PM +0000, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> The other obvious alternative is the Xda Orbit, but that's a
> Windows-based mobile and I have not actually handled that. I also have
> no idea whether it can be used as a modem on a laptop running Linux.

Run away as fast as you can from this one.  I had a friend with an
earlier version of the same, also on O2, and it was simply the
shoddiest piece of crap I've ever seen.  He went through I think it
was 2 or 3 replacement phones, and even the final one never really
worked.  Some of the problems he had that I remember: Microphone
sometimes just wouldn't work.  Phone would sometimes switch calls to
answering machine without ringing.  Phone needed to be rebooted daily
otherwise random features like Wifi would stop working.  The user
interface was just dire, and slow.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones