[Gllug] Strange spam happenings

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Sun Nov 4 14:31:53 UTC 2007

I host a political website (http://hatemytory.com - if you don't like
the politics don't say you weren't warned!) which gets a <cough>
moderate amount of traffic, but in the last few days the public stats
counter has shown a fair number of references to the site from spam
sites (eg the sorts of places that sell you pharmaceuticals).

When I look at these sites I see no reference to my site on them and
nothing in the html to suggest a hidden link. Nor can I seem to find
these visits in the real server logs. Very strange.

What is going on? is this just a form of link spam as, in theory, the
reference links are public and possibly indexable?

Or is it the prelude to some sort of DDoS attack on the site?

Any clues?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk