[Gllug] Choosing a new mobile phone

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:52:45 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 02:40:47PM +0000, damion.yates at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> >
> > > I am about to choose a new mobile phone. I am looking for one
> > > with GPS built in, and the other major condition is that it must
> > > work OK as a modem in Linux.
> > >
> > > Because I am on O2 and have not yet found a network with better
> > > customer service, I am looking at phones I can get on O2.
> >
> > Almost all phones will act as a modem, but I'd be more concerned
> > that you are with O2 and expect to use this usefully as a modem.
> >
> > I sent an [OT] email about this a few days ago, which was ignored.
> > Basically O2 are rate limiting their "3G" (hah!) network to
> > ~17kB/sec which is 1/2 2.5G speeds, it's what the iPhone can do,
> > and is exactly what AT&T did just before the their iPhone launch.
> >
> > I've since worked out that this is locked for all non business
> > users.  If you get a business O2 contract you'll get 1/2Mb/sec
> > which is fine (albeit 1/3rd of the speed "3" provide).
>
> Hmmm... so, bearing in mind that I want to avoid both Orange and 3,
> who's any good for this?

I've tried all main carriers as PAYG and have tried "3" and O2 with
contracts.  I'm currently going for a business simplicity contract
with O2, they do a credit check over 7-10 days and then post a sim
out, alternatively you show them some headed paper and provide
business details (I don't own a company).

I hope this will provide sensible 3G speeds, as my tests in the O2
stores have confirmed using the business rated demo sims.

I have found that "3" are pretty good, I've had connections peak at
2.6Mb/sec and average at over 600kb/sec.  Unfortunately you have to
pay 10quid a month for unfirewalled connections, otherwise on the 5
quid unlimited connection you're limited to normal Internet ports as
they view them.  Yes sshd on 443 works, but it's not convenient.
Their PAYG is rate limited to 500kb/sec afaict.  If you have an open
ssh connection but don't send or retrieve data on that connection for
more then 2.5minutes it stops working, retrieving data only.  I tested
this recently, it's my main cause for complaint having resolved the
stupid firewalling problem.

T-Mobile seem to be very reliable and if my O2 test doesn't work I'm
definitely going to them next.  If you don't mind a few niggles with 3
then they are the fastest and cheapest, which great 3G coverage.

> > The N95 is a great phone, the GPS will eat your battery like
> > nobodies business though.  The N95 8GB due shortly, is a sexy
> > black, with bigger screen and an estimated double battery life,
> > due to much improved OS power savings and a generally upped mAh
> > rating.
> >
> > For actual satnav I use a tomtom BT device, the E90 and N95 will
> > work with it, giving strong and fast lock.  I paid for tomtom on
> > my 9500 and have never looked back, the battery life on that is
> > good, but its camera is 1.3MP and it can't do 3G.
>
> Bearing in mind past experience, I am looking to "nail" it together
> rather than depend on Bluetooth.

As I mentioned before, I'd be surprised to find a phone these days
that doesn't have >2MP camera, 3G and the ability to act as a BT
modem!  (Well except the iPhone which can't do any of these!)

Damion

Damion Yates - damion.yates at gmail.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk