[Gllug] Stirring

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Fri Nov 23 15:06:03 UTC 2007

* Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> [071123 14:45]:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 02:41:14PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 01:24:43PM +0000, Caroline wrote:
> > > Top posting!
> >
> > Oh, don't start on that one.  I had a performance review recently from a
> > suit who cited my non-top-posting habit as confusing and a bar to
> > communication.
>
> I just tell people that we worked all of that out 25 years ago and I have been
> doing it ever since ... all it takes it a bit of learning to realise that
> a bit of work by you means that your readers have less to do to understand
> what you are saying.

In my experience, it remains correct to bottom-post (or interweave) for
discussion forums (e.g., mailing lists) and for personal correspondence.

However, in business correspondence it is frequently necessary to
forward a whole chain of correspondence to someone who has not been
copied in on it.  It's very difficult to forward a bottom-posted chain
of messages.

As a result, I find it difficult to get worked up about this issue any
more.  Both styles of posting have advantages and disadvantages in
different situations.  The best thing to do is to use the style that
your correspondent(s) prefer - rather than enforcing your own
preferences upon them.

[The above message is only partly stirring.]

jack
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk