[Gllug] Choosing a new mobile phone

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 14:40:47 UTC 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> I am about to choose a new mobile phone. I am looking for one with
> GPS built in, and the other major condition is that it must work OK
> as a modem in Linux.
>
> Because I am on O2 and have not yet found a network with better
> customer service, I am looking at phones I can get on O2.

Almost all phones will act as a modem, but I'd be more concerned that
you are with O2 and expect to use this usefully as a modem.

I sent an [OT] email about this a few days ago, which was ignored.
Basically O2 are rate limiting their "3G" (hah!) network to ~17kB/sec
which is 1/2 2.5G speeds, it's what the iPhone can do, and is exactly
what AT&T did just before the their iPhone launch.

I've since worked out that this is locked for all non business users.
If you get a business O2 contract you'll get 1/2Mb/sec which is fine
(albeit 1/3rd of the speed "3" provide).

The N95 is a great phone, the GPS will eat your battery like nobodies
business though.  The N95 8GB due shortly, is a sexy black, with
bigger screen and an estimated double battery life, due to much
improved OS power savings and a generally upped mAh rating.

For actual satnav I use a tomtom BT device, the E90 and N95 will work
with it, giving strong and fast lock.  I paid for tomtom on my 9500
and have never looked back, the battery life on that is good, but its
camera is 1.3MP and it can't do 3G.

Damion

Damion Yates - damion.yates at gmail.com
mobile: +44 (0) 7801 741582