[Gllug] Unlock a Freecom Network Drive Pro (or does it need it?)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Nov 20 14:16:30 UTC 2007

I've come across Freecom advertising a device they call a "Freecom Network
Drive Pro" for 160 GBP.  It has a 500G hard drive, gigabit ethernet, ARM9,
64M of RAM, SMB file server, web server, ftp server, print server (2 x USB
ports) and runs Linux.  It sounds to me like it might make an ideal
always-on low power domestic server, but...

I can't find any information on how open it is.  The spec sheet says that
the kernel is "upgradeable" but there are no clues about how open it is.
The obvious thing it lacks (at least in the spec sheet) is NFS file
sharing.

Anyone any experience of using one of these gadgets?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk