[Gllug] VoIP at home, softphone, interoperability

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Nov 27 17:48:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 17:32 +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
> For SIP, I need to find a client, try to configure it, work out I need a
> SIP service, read various unclear websites about SIP services, try and
> find one to use to get the system running, think I've got one sorted,
> make sure my firewall handles SIP correctly, reconfigure the client, try
> and find a test number to call, stare at the non-working system, think
> about how long I could spend trying to get it all working, remove the
> packages and go back to Skype.

I've just set up a SIP system here. It took me less than a minute.

All I had to enter was the SIP proxy hostname, username and password and
it was done.

Firewalls are irrelevant for the most part - STUN deals with the issues
arising from NAT.

For a test number just call your mobile and hang up once you see the
incoming call.

Yes Skype is easy - it's also easy for their service to fail completely
for hours on end and for them to take away your Skype In number because
they are too stupid to make proper arrangements for telco services.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk