[Gllug] Choosing a new mobile phone

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Sun Nov 4 12:43:00 UTC 2007

I am about to choose a new mobile phone. I am looking for one with GPS
built in, and the other major condition is that it must work OK as a
modem in Linux.

Because I am on O2 and have not yet found a network with better customer
service, I am looking at phones I can get on O2.

There are two (with a possible third) I am thinking of. The Nokia N95 is
possible, and as I have an N70 at present, I think it will probably be
easy to get it to do all that I want. However, I am not sure the
navigation on it (which costs a little extra) includes real-time updates
(due to delays/blocked roads).

The other obvious alternative is the Xda Orbit, but that's a
Windows-based mobile and I have not actually handled that. I also have
no idea whether it can be used as a modem on a laptop running Linux.

An alternative would be the Nokia 6110 but that does not seem to be
available, at least from O2, any more.

I would appreciate some advice on whether the N95 or the Xda would be a
wise choice.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk