[Gllug] Choosing a new mobile phone

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Nov 4 13:54:57 UTC 2007

Phil Reynolds wrote:
> There are two (with a possible third) I am thinking of. The Nokia N95 is
> possible, and as I have an N70 at present, I think it will probably be
> easy to get it to do all that I want. However, I am not sure the
> navigation on it (which costs a little extra) includes real-time updates
> (due to delays/blocked roads).

I had a N95 for about 10 days to try out. And a couple of things you
might want to keep in mind...

The battery life! with the gps on total 100% to 0% is about 4hrs to 4hrs
10min. With the gps not running at all, its still charge everyday sort
of situation. For me that was a major issue - since my 'other' phone is
an E61, which I charge about once every 4 - 5 days, and I use WiFi from
the E61 quite a bit ( about an hour each day atleast ).

GPS acquisition time on the N95 is about 8 minutes. For me this was
another problem, since I live not far from the A2, 8min is a fair bit of
distance down the road in 'some' direction before gps started being of
any use. I have heard that the newer firmwares on n95 fix this issue,
and acquisition time is down to about 1 to 2 minutes, but still would be
worth thinking about.

as a Linux modem, it did work fine :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk