[Gllug] Thinkpads

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Nov 30 09:35:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 07:27:48PM +0000, M.J. Smith wrote:
> Whoever you buy from, make sure you ask them whether
> they will honour the warranty if you install Linux on
> it.  The other day I asked the support people at
> dabs.com about this WRT Lenovo laptops and they said
> it *would* void the warranty.  I ordered a Dell
> instead as they explicitly state that their warranties
> will still be valid.

They may have said that, but it's unlikely to be the law.  In any
case, you should never send off a laptop (or any machine) for repair
with the hard disk in it.  It will have a ton of private or company
confidential information on it and you've no idea who will be pawing
their way through it.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones